By Thandeka Matebesi
One of the biggest supermarkets in Tsholotsho, Family Choice, was gutted by fired on Saturday night.An electric fault is believed to have resulted in the fire.
A shaken Mr Rangarirai Ncube, the supermarket’s Manager said he was still in his office when the fire started.
“The fire started around 6pm on Saturday. It was as a result of short circuiting that occurred when electricity returned. We did not have electricity the whole of Friday because of routine maintenance. During that time all employees had knocked off. I was sitting in my office and was shocked when two of our supervisors and a man named Moyo who stays at the nearby compound stormed the supermarket shouting. It was the restaurant breaker that was on flames, they ran towards the breaker and tried to put off the fire using a fire extinguisher. I then ran to switch off the main breaker but it was too late, the ceiling had caught fire, everything that happened was terrifying,” narrated Ncube.
Nearly 2.5 million worth of goods was destroyed by the raging fire.We are yet to ascertain the value of equipment lost” said the Manager. According to fire brigade estimates, the value of property is btwn $15 – $20 million. No cash was destroyed.
The manager is appealing to the business community and other well wishers to assist in any way possible.
” We appeal to the business community to assist us in cash or kind to rebuild the supermarket, which is now a write off. So far we have someone who has offered to give us cement,” he said.
Tsholotsho Rural District Council Chairperson Councillor Esau Siwela lamented the “unfortunate” debacle and comiserated with Family Choice Supermarket.
“The fire destroyed everything. There is nothing left which is very sad,” he said.
Well wishers who wish to assist in any possible way may contact the manager on the following cell number:
Rangarirai Ncube 0779970595
Watch video : https://youtu.be/lisKamSaJSI