Government has announced stiff lockdown measures put down with immediate effect due to recent surge in covid19 cases from 8374 on 1 November to 14084 to date.
Addressing the media, Vice President and Minister of Health and Child Care Dr Chiwenga said in view of the surge in covid19 cases the following stiff lockdown measures are being put in place with immediate effect;
1. Gatherings are reduced to not more than 30 people at all funerals. All other gatherings at weddings, churches, bars, bottle stores, gymnasiums, restaurants etc. are banned for 30 days
2. The existing covid19 preventive health measures will be strictly enforced that is to say correct wearing of masks, social distancing, hand sanitisation, and temperature checks will be strictly enforced and offenders will prosecuted.
3. Only essential services are to remain open such as hospitals, pharmacies, and supermarkets, with only essential staff allowed to come to work. These services can only open at 8am and must close at 3pm and will be subject to curfew that will start at 6pm and end at 6pm.
4. Of the commercial services only Part 4 lockdown order services such as mining, manufacturing, and agriculture will operate as before. Other commercial services specified on part 5 of the lockdown order that is to say all formal businesses and registered informal traders are suspended from Tuesday 5 January 2021 for 30days.
5. Inter provincial and intercity transport services are restricted to only to essential services and part 4 commercial services
6. People must stay at home save for buying food and medicines or transporting sick relatives. Other exceptions are specified in the lockdown order.
7. As for schooling only examination classes are to open now.
8. Cross border traders are stopped forthwith save for commercial and transit cargo related to essential and critical services.
9. Air transportation remains unhindered and will continue as before with arrivals and returning residents being required to present covid19 free certificates. As for land access will be admitted subject to presentation of covid19 free certifications. These certificates must have been issued at least 48 hours before departure.
10. Just to be clear, restaurants, bottle stores, and bars are closed for 30 days except for bars and restaurants serving hotel residents. Also, tourist facilities and national parks will operate as before subject to the usual health precautions.